Cost of groceries etc. in Scarborough and Tobago

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
R Houle

Cost of groceries etc. in Scarborough and Tobago

Post by R Houle »

We will be staying at Hummingbird Heights in Scarborough and will likely be doing a fair bit of our own food prep because we are traveling as a family of 5. Does anyone have any opinions about the cost of food from stores and markets? What is the selection like? Does Scarborough have a fair variety? If anyone knows Hummingbird Heights (Steve W this might be you), is it possible to walk to the markets and hike it back to HH with groceries? Are there any other recommended places around Crown Point to buy fresh fruit/vegies and supplies? Thanks in advance for your help.
Tanja Mohammed

Food and groceries

Post by Tanja Mohammed »

Hello there,
The cost of living in Tobago might seem relatively high and could almost be compared to prices back home (in my case Germany). For example a litre of milk (not fresh milk) in a tetra pack costs about 1 USD, a loaf of bread just under 1 USD. The largest and also cheapest supermarket on the island is Penny Savers with three outlets (one is located on the main road in Canaan/Bon Accord which is the closest one to the airport, a second one in Carnbee and a third one in Scarborough but that particular one is very small and does not have the same variety as the other two outlets.) You will find some smaller groceries in Scarborough (Viewport is another one that is quite well stocked). Another superb one is called R.T. Morshead or Gourmet Foods and is located off Shirvan Road between Buccoo and Carnbee. You turn off Shirvan Road at a restaurant called MeShells' and follow that road about 150 metres and you will see Gourmet Foods on your right hand side. They also have a very good selection of frozen meats and frozen fish, and the only place on this beautiful island to get fresh mushrooms !!! The only alternative to get fresh meat is at the market (but be prepared for half pigs or half cows and nothing is in a cooler !!!). Another recommendation for frozen meat is Golden Grove Farm (coming from the airport pass Bon Accord and Canaan and you will see a sign for Golden Girls Bakery on your left, take this road after the bakery and follow it for about 2 km and you will see their sign and turn right).
You find a lot of vegetable and fruit stands all over the island , the market in Scarborough is best on Fridays and Saturdays (go early like the locals around 7 am and you get the best !!!)

Have a safe trip to Tobago and enjoy your stay

Tanja Mohammed - Yes Tourism
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

You mustn't envisage that Tobago supermarkets are like those in Canada. Even the biggest on Tobago is like a tiny local store and there is very limited choice. Having said that, they provide everything you need (mind you, I certainly couldn't find any decent ground coffee and the local Trinidadian brew is the most awful rubbish imaginable).

If memory serves me correctly, there was a small local supermarket (Highmoor Supermarket) just 5 minutes walk down from Hummingbird Heights on the 'main' and then another (Keymarkets?) just another 5 minute walk away at the Wilson Road junction with the Claude Noel Highway. Another 5 minutes and you will be in to central Scarborough. Now, I didn't visit any of these supermarkets, so can't comment on content.

Although distances aren't great, it's uphill all the way from Scarborough to Hummingbird Heights, so with the heat you aren't going to be wanting to carry a lot of shopping. Having said that, your best bet would be to email owner Shirley Rogers. I know that they will bend over backwards to help so once you've got a main "shop" done, it should be no problem to walk to the local stores for top-ups.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
R Houle

thanks for the info

Post by R Houle »

Thanks Steve and Tanja for the helpful info. I'm not interested in having it like Canada, and it appears we'll be able to find all that we need.

Roger

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”