credit card without PIN?

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Chris
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

credit card without PIN?

Post by Chris »

Hi,
is my credit card (master card) of any use if the card doesn't have a PIN? Is it possible to pay with that?
I know I won't be able to get cash from the ATMs without pin, but would it be possible at a branch of the banks (with showing my ID?).

Besides of that card, i only have a german EC-card which has the MAESTRO sign on it, but i'm not sure if that will work...

going to tobago on monday #-o - the bank told me it would be too late to request a pin for the credit card... and they don't know if maestro will work on Tobago :/

thanks for any replies
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: credit card without PIN?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Chris

Unless your Maestro card also has a MasterCard or (or VISA) symbol on it, you are unlikely to be able to use it in Tobago, I'm afraid.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Chris
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Chris »

ah, i was hoping, because the sign is shown here http://www.mytobago.info/cashmachines.php ...

and what about the master-card without pin? any chance to pay with that?

thanks!
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Chris,

your bank card from Germany with the MAESTRO sign works perfectly at ATMs of Republic Bank, and as i remember, also
RBTT Royal Bank. I am not sure about Scotia Bank and First Citizen's Bank.
You find a branch of both Republik and Royal Bank not far from the airport as well as in Scarborough.

As for the MASTERCARD without PIN, you may use that one at shops and restaurants, as long as the card doesn't have
a chip or the credit card reader doesn't have a chip reader. You should not experience too many problems with that card.

Have a safe trip !
Chris
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Chris »

thank god, that's good news :)
the credit card is new and looks like having a chip and also a magnetic-stripe - so it shouldn't make problems, right?
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

I wonder why your bank gave you a new credit card with chip but no PIN.
As long as the point of sale credit card reader only reads the magnetic strip, you are safe.
If the point of sale reader has a chip card reader attached, you need to enter a PIN.
Not too many places in Tobago have a chip card reader though ... you should be alright in
most places.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

btw ... your MAESTRO debit card works at many point of sale readers, too.
Very few people in T&T know that but try it out. If you have problems with your credit card in a shop or
restaurant, or in a shop where they tell you, they take "only LINX", use MAESTRO with your PIN.
Tell them this is european LINX, meaning debit card.
Chris
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Chris »

That is great!

some minutes ago i spoke with a person at scotiabank in scarborough. he told me i couldn't use my card because it doesn't have the CIRRUS sign on it, additionally to Maestro. But i do understand it right - cirrus is sth. different then maestro, so no matter if i have cirrus or not, as long as the atm supports maestro i can probably use my card? except at scotiabank ;)

i don't know why i didn't get a pin. i guess they forgot ;) i've never used a credit card before and didn't know i would need one :/

i found that info about the Blue machine, i think that's what i need:
http://www.republictt.com/1asp/personal.asp?f=ebs_blue
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Yes, Chris, exactly.
Republic Bank Blue machine and the RBC Royal Bank (no longer RBTT as mentioned above, sorry) ATMs accept
MAESTRO cards, as well as many point of sale readers in shops and restaurants. It is inconclusive which ones
of the latter do or don't accept foreign debit cards, it appears to be a matter of the contract the business owner has
with Republic Bank or RBC. Just try it out.
In my shop my Republic Bank reader does not accept foreign debit cards, but my RBC reader does.
Whenever customers ask for a discount (i don't sell food stuff :wink: ), i ask them for a debit card.
That saves me the 3 % commission, which the bank would charge me if the customer uses a credit card.
I rather give the 3 % to my customer.
You may try to get a discount at your car rental place or hotel and pay with you MAESTRO, if possible.
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

I have a Swedish bank card with a Visa-logo, that card has both a chip and a magnetic strip. If I use that card in Tobago when buying something, the staff use the magnetic strip (haven´t seen any place able to use the chip here) but I still is requested to conform by using my pin-code at the machine.

It´s the same thing with my Visa Credit card and my local bank card from the Republic Bank.

I have not had any problems here with any of my cards, they are working into ATMs by Republic Bank, Royal Bank as well First Citizen Bank and also into shops.
The only ATM which are different here in Tobago is the First Citrizens, their ATM always say "Credit Card", but the money is taken from my normally account, and not from the credit attacted to that card.

When using the card at a restaurant, you mostly sign the strip, haven´t been asking for an ID eighter!?

I must say that I´m very surprised to hear, that you did get a bank card at home without a pin-code. Such card have´t been in use at home for a Very Long Time.

Return to “General Questions & Comment”