General Trip Advice and Concerns

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
H.Left
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

General Trip Advice and Concerns

Post by H.Left »

Hi there,

Me and my friend are planning on travelling to Tobago this summer after winning free flights and I wanted some general advice/tips about certain things.

Firstly I have become slightly concerned about safety and crime in Tobago for tourists - particularly as we will be two young females. I know that unless I am feeling safe within where I am staying I will not be able to enjoy myself which is obviously a shame. We are looking for a self catering residence - don't want to spend too much on food, are there any particularly safe apartments within gated/guarded resorts?

Also - we were planning on hiring a jeep and heading into the rainforests/more secluded beaches but reading about crime I'm not sure this is best for two white young females?! We want to be able to see most of the island and experience an authentic experience rather than just cowering in our resort... Should we get a guide?

Overall we are relatively street smart, and living in London we are probably more at risk but just wanted some advice. Basically we have no idea where to stay!

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks
Rachel Crew
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: General Trip Advice and Concerns

Post by Rachel Crew »

If you exercise the same caution you would in London, you should be just fine... For the rainforest I would however recommend getting a guide, as much for the fact that they will show you a lot of things you would miss with an untrained eye! I also would take the advice to avoid certain of the more secluded beaches, but you will find most of the beaches much less populated than other destinations so overcrowding is rarely a problem.

There are a lot of recommendations for self-catering places on here, but one you might look at is Native Abode - it has an excellent reputation and although there is no pool on site, you would be close to Crown Point, Store Bay, eateries and also a supermarket.
Rachel & Marlon Winter-Roach
CocoMotion - http://www.cocomotion.net
H.Left
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by H.Left »

Thanks for your quick reply. Great to hear, I'm sure I'm much more at risk wandering around North London late at night than in Tobago!

I'm also torn between living in the south eastern area or up in somewhere like Castara?

So do you think we would be fine driving around on our own in general? Pretty open ended question but if there is anything in particular we should be cautious about I'd love to hear!

Thanks again.
xantina
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by xantina »

Hi!

I was in Tobago about a month ago, I travelled alone and never felt unsafe.You just need to have some common sense ! I stayed both in Crown point and Castara. I recommend Castara especially if you have a car. Its lovely! If you want alot of restaurants and moore tourists Crown point it is.
H.Left
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by H.Left »

Thank you - feel much more relieved now. There for two weeks so maybe will stay in Castara for a week with a rental car and then Crown Point for a week. Where did you stay in Castara? Anywhere to recommend?
xantina
myTobago Rookie
myTobago Rookie

Post by xantina »

I stayed in Naturalist beach resort,its on the beach and a really nice place. You can see the rewiews on this side and on tripadvisor.
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

You may find that your rental car sits there doing nothing in Castara as you spend all your time on either of the 2 beaches, at the waterfall, just walking along the beach wondering why you did not come here before..............! However if it rains in Castara then you can always jump in the car and go to the other side of the island!
When you go on a forest walk the guide will have his own vehicle! Englishman's Bay just 5 minutes up the road.
It is far less stressful after a long flight to be picked up by a local taxi and taken up to Castara as it may , depending on the airline, be dark . There is not 'twilight' it goes dark very quickly and he can take you via Pennysavers supermarket for some supplies! .
Then maybe rent a car when you are up there to drive up to Charlotteville, or to Speyside through the rainforest to see Little Tobago and the Argyle Falls ( great power shower!!!). Drive up to Mount Dillon, 10 minutes south to see the sunset from there, so quiet and peaceful......................If you are set on 2 destinations then go to Crown Point first as after visiting Castara you will probably not want to go anywhere else.........ever! So hard to leave!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Totally agree with Chris.

I have resisted so far because I am very biased about the Naturalist Beach Resort where I have returned over the last 12 years ... it's not everyone's cup of tea as the cheaper rooms are a little basic, but it's on the beach and I consider Ancle to be a brilliant host and a good friend.

Chris also has rooms in Carpe Diem with fantastic views ... plus there is Ali Baba's in Heavenly Bay, Castara Retreats ... lots of choice in Castara so suggest you shop around (apologies to any businesses I have not mentioned).

You can then visit Crown Point in your Hire Car and just stay in Castara.

Hey Chris ... I will be there about 14th June so look forward to seeing you again.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Chris Runciman
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Chris Runciman »

Sorry Paul only just back after 4 months in Castara and not back down until September, some of us still work for a living!!
!
H, you will be well treated in Castara.Yes you will be the centre of attention for a while and it is up to you how you deal with it. You set the boundaries as you would at home.
The local guys are well mannered, if persistent, but then they are fit young single guys and I am sure you would be more offended / worried if you did not receive any attention!! You will get taken to Sunday School !
Be warned though, at the end of your stay you may not want to leave Castara.............!
But then just about everyone comes back do they not Paul?

Return to “General Questions & Comment”